The main results are as follows:
(1) Large area: the first generation of large area glass substrate (300mm × 400mm) tft-lcd production line was put into operation in the early 1990s. By the first half of 2000, the area of glass substrate has been expanded to 680mm × 880mm), and the glass substrate of 950mm × 1200mm will also be put into operation. In principle, there is no area limit.
(2) High integration: the resolution of 1.3 inch tft chip for liquid crystal projection is xga containing millions of pixels. The film thickness of 16.1 inch tft array amorphous silicon with resolution sxga (1280 × 1024) is only 50nm, as well as tab on glass and system on glass technology, the integration of ic and the requirement of equipment and supply technology are all more difficult than the traditional lsi..
(3) Powerful function: tft first used as matrix location circuit to improve the optical valve characteristics of liquid crystal. For high resolution display, the precise control of object element is realized by voltage regulation in the range of 0 V and 6 v (its typical value is 0.2 to 4 v), which makes it possible for lcd to realize high quality high resolution display. Tft-lcd is the first flat panel display with display quality exceeding crt in human history. Moreover, people begin to integrate driving ic into glass substrate, and the function of the whole tft will be more powerful, which is incomparable to the traditional large-scale semiconductor integrated circuits.
(4) Low cost: glass substrate and plastic substrate fundamentally solve the cost problem of large scale semiconductor integrated circuits, which opens up a broad application space for the application of large scale semiconductor integrated circuits.
(5) The process is flexible: in addition to the traditional process such as sputter, cvd (chemical vapor deposition) mcvd (molecular chemical vapor deposition), laser annealing technology has also begun to be applied, which can not only fabricate amorphous films, polycrystalline films, but also single crystal films. Not only silicon films can be made, but also other II-VI and III-V semiconductor films can be fabricated.
(6) Liquid crystal flat panel display (LCD) based on tft technology is the pillar industry of information society, and it can also be applied to thin film transistor organic electroluminescent (tft-oled) flat panel display which is growing rapidly.