(1) Large area: In the early 90, the first generation of large area glass substrate (300mmx400mm) TFT-LCD production line put into operation, by the first half of 2000 the area of glass substrate has been expanded to 680mmx880mm), and 950mmx1200mm glass substrate will also be put into operation. In principle, there is no area limit.
(2) High integration: The 1.3-inch TFT chip used for liquid crystal projection has a resolution of XGA containing millions of pixels. The 16.1-inch TFT array with a resolution of SXGA (1280X1024) has a film thickness of only 50nm, and tab on glass and system on glass technology, and its IC integration, requirements for equipment and supply technology, are more technically difficult than traditional LSI.
(3) Powerful: TFT was the first to improve the optical valve characteristics of liquid crystal as a matrix location circuit. For high-resolution displays, the precise control of the object element is achieved through the voltage regulation of the 0-6V range (its typical value is 0.2 to 4V), which makes it possible for the LCD to achieve high-resolution display with high quality. TFT-LCD is the first flat-panel display in human history to display mass over CRT. And people began to integrate the drive IC into the glass substrate, the entire TFT function will be more powerful, which is the traditional large-scale semiconductor integrated circuit can not be compared.
(4) Low cost: glass substrates and plastic substrates fundamentally solve the cost of large-scale semiconductor integrated circuits, for the application of large-scale semiconductor integrated circuits to open up a wide range of application space.
(5) Flexible process: In addition to the use of sputtering, CVD (chemical vapor deposition) MCVD (molecular chemical vapor deposition) and other traditional processes into film, laser annealing technology has also begun to be used, not only can make amorphous film, polycrystalline film, but also can manufacture monocrystalline film. Not only can the silicon film be made, but other Ⅱ-ⅵ and Ⅲ-ⅴ semiconductor films can also be made.
(6) A wide range of applications, based on TFT technology LCD flat panel display is the backbone of the information society industry, but also technology can be applied to the rapidly growing thin film transistor organic electroluminescent (TFT-OLED) Flat panel display is also growing rapidly.